Sunday, January 23, 2011

Ice Age Cake


My oldest son chose an Ice Age cake for his 9th birthday. I used icing to give it that snowy look.
The characters, eggs and acorns were all made out of fondant. The faces on the egg were drawn on with a food coloring pen. I made the "ice" with sugar candy. It was the first time I had used this and it was a lot of fun to do. I just poured the melted sugar onto a pan, let it cool and then cracked it to form the ice.
I was so happy with the way Scrat and Sid came out and I had planned on preserving them like I had the jungle animals. Apparently, my dog had other ideas because she ended up eating them. By the time I caught her, only part of Sid's body was left. It was very sad!
Here is Scrat before he was eaten...check out his fang teeth!

2 comments:

  1. HI there,

    Love your cake!! Did you make the sugar candy or did you buy it? I see soooo many receipes online for everything except what your sugar candy looks like. Is it just heating white sugar with water and adding food coloring, and laying out to harden or something else? Thanks!
    mcblancas1828@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks!

      I made the sugar candy myself. It's basically sugar and corn syrup. If you google "sugar candy" or "sugar glass" there are lots of recipes/tutorials. I just poured mine onto a sheet and then broke it into pieces.

      Delete